Teach English as our Education Volunteer Overseas
OpenmindProjects teaches underprivileged youth English, EdTech and important life skills such as teamwork, self-confidence and critical thinking in our ‘Learning By Doing’ way. Our goal is to create self-sufficient, lifelong learners with a high probability of escaping the poverty trap and rising into a better future.
- Students in Southeast Asia generally don’t perform well on international English tests because they simply memorize English by rote, so they never learn to speak proficiently or to understand the language structure. Together we can change this!
- According to the EF English Proficiency Index 2019, prepared by Swiss-based Education First, Thailand as a whole scored only 47.62, which is regarded as very low proficiency.
- Myanmar and Cambodia were also classified in the very low proficiency group, ranking the 86th and 94th respectively.
- Research shows that English is the official language of 53 countries and is spoken as a first language by approximately 400 million people. Plus another 1 billion also use English on a regular basis. The British Council estimated that in 2020, 2 billion people in the world were studying the English language, eliminating communication barriers among global citizens and making it easier for information to flow.
- Thailand relies heavily on tourism as one of its primary sources of revenue, but low English proficiency has led to negative perceptions. Tourists often prefer destinations where they can communicate more easily.
Our Solution: Volunteer to Teach English to underprivileged children and village women
Help us make English fun for kids to learn and volunteers to teach!
After many years working with young students we have our own teaching English style with volunteers at our Training Center, Learning Camps and field projects. We help to inspire and build students’ confidence to learn English because village children find our ‘Learning by Doing’ way to be more fun than traditional learning, so it proves more effective!
Help us inspire children to learn!
Our Multi Dimensional Learning means learning using role-plays, from basic to more advanced, which simulate familiar daily situations. We support our students to search online for information and then to tell each other and volunteers what they find. They make presentations, videos and share their findings in online formats. They learn to listen and to speak, to read and write, and to use body language too, all in one task!