Creating Learners in Innovative Camps
Help poor girls and boys, our campers, to a new life as learners!
We want to create learners, young architects creating their own futures!
The Poverty Trap
Poor parents in villages with poor schooling, few teachers and traditional teaching-by-rote means poor learning. Most children do not like to learn in this way. They never learn to speak English, much less how IT and internet can help them. Village and migrant children in Southeast Asia usually remain poor!
The richest 1% in Thailand own 67% of the wealth according to the Global Wealth Databook by Credit Suisse. Inequalities in wealth means inequalities in education.
Village children are isolated; do not learn about the world, are not interested to learn. They drop out.
The poor, the countryside is left behind.
Inspiration and Opportunity
Our challenge is to inspire village and migrant boys and girls to want and be able to learn! To encourage and empower the young generation to take charge of their own learning.
Modern learning and IT can be a poor child’s best friend! If girls and boys learn how to use their smartphones and the internet, learn how to learn, and study English, they can become the architects of their own futures! This is the challenge!
How can we best help young villagers and migrants from Laos, Thailand and Myanmar?
We encourage campers to learn to help themselves! They ‘Learn By Doing’ through tasks and activities. They learn English, how to use technology and the internet, and to discuss a range of topics – all at the same time!
In our Learning Camps, everything is free! Campers live and learn for free: activities, lodging, food and fun is all free!
Campers gain inspiration, important knowledge, and many skills in our Camps
Task-Based ‘Learning by Doing’! Campers learn:
● How to search for information online, analyze, and solve problems, helping each other and helped by Openmind trainees, ex campers, and international volunteers.
● Make presentations and videos, share and debate with friends and online.
● Inspiration, confidence, critical and independent thinking.
● About the future, how jobs change, and new opportunities.
● About the environment, climate change, health, hygiene, and food.
How you can help
With a donation to support a camp, or volunteer at one!
- Sponsor a camp or a camper
- Volunteer at a camp or two